A contest sponsored by the Southern Louisiana Chapter of the RWA
SOLA’s mission is to support its members’ pursuit of their passion for writing by offering programs on the craft, publishing and marketing, and by providing opportunities to write and share their work. This year SOLA is sponsoring a contest that will give writers the opportunity to submit a short story for inclusion in a Mardi Gras-themed Anthology. We will select the best-qualified stories and compile them into an anthology, which we will publish, and market to the public.
Eligibility: Open to all writers, published and unpublished; not limited to members of the Romance Writers of America or SOLA. Only original and unpublished work will be accepted.
Fee: $20.00 payable via the SOLA PayPal button on its website or by check to the SOLA treasurer, Ann Cantrell, 9012 Camille Ct., River Ridge, LA 70123. Entry fees and proceeds for the sale of the Anthology will be dedicated towards contest expenses and the continued funding of high quality programming for SOLA members.
Open Date for Submissions: May 1, 2017.
Deadline for Submission: July 21, 2017.
Submission Length: Between 2,500 and 7,500 words.
Theme: All genres are accepted, but all stories must have a Mardi Gras in New Orleans theme and also must have a romantic element in the story. Submissions without the required theme or romantic element will not be considered and will be returned.
Editing: Entrants are strongly encouraged to have their entries edited. SOLA will not edit stories selected for inclusion in the Anthology.
Judging: A panel of SOLA members and other writers with extensive writing experience will select submissions to be included in the Anthology based upon subjective criteria including quality, category, overall fit with other stories selected, and consistency with the theme. No feedback will be provided, except that judges may encourage particular entrants to submit the story for another volume of a future Anthology.
Winners: Winning entries will be announced no later than July 31, 2017 on SOLA’s website.
Agreement: Writers whose submissions are accepted for publications in the Anthology will be required to agree to certain terms and conditions. Authors will retain copyright of their work. SOLA reserves the exclusive right to publish the story first in the anthology, in both E-Book and print, world wide in English. Winners will also be required to agree that any and all proceeds, including the submission fees and all fees derived from sales of the Anthology shall go exclusively to SOLA. Winners shall further be required to submit a short bio and photo to be included in the Anthology, and that their name and likeness may be used for promotional purposes for SOLA and this Anthology. Submission of a short story in the contest will be deemed acceptance by the author of these terms and conditions. Winners may also be required to sign a written contract embodying these terms and conditions.
Format for Short Story Submission
- Don’t include any personal information on your manuscript, either in a header or on the first page or within the body of the short story text. Your name, address, phone number and email address should appear in a separate cover sheet along with the manuscript.
- The first page of your manuscript should include the title of your story (centered).
- Include the word count in top right hand corner of first page.
- Include a top header in top right corner of each page (except the first) with abbreviated title (no more than three or four words), category, and page number.
- Use 12-point Courier or Times New Roman font.
- Indent new paragraphs and each new section of dialogue.
- Double space with no extra space between paragraphs.
- Use one inch margins all around.
- Indent your paragraphs (like a book). Do not use line breaks (like a blog).
- Indicate scene breaks by inserting a new line and using the hashtag sign (“#”) centered in the middle of that line
To enter, upload your story to Submittable via the following link:
To pay, see the PayPal button below: