The Dixie Kane Memorial Contest is a literary contest in honor of the late Linda Kay West, attorney, who wrote as Dixie Kane. A member of SOLA and RWA for many years, Linda served in numerous board positions. She shared her knowledge of writing, publishing, and law generously as a speaker at SOLA’s meetings and conferences. SOLA created the Dixie Kane Memorial Contest to encourage aspiring writers to hone their craft and submit their work.
Sponsor: SOLA, the Southern Louisiana Chapter of RWA
July 15, 2014 July 31, 2014
Eligibility: Entrants do not need to be members of Romance Writers of America to enter.
- Short/long series contemporary
- Single title contemporary
- Historical romance
- Novel w/ strong romantic elements
- Romantic suspense
- Erotic romance
Judges: Experienced, trained, published/nonpublished.
Final Readers for first place entries:
- Short/Long Series Contemporary, Rhonda Penders, Editor-in-Chief, The Wild Rose Press
- Single Title Contemporary, Kathy Cottrell, Senior Editor Last Rose of Summer, The Wild Rose Press
- Historical Romance, Allison Byers, Editor Historical Division, The Wild Rose Press
- Paranormal, CallieLynn Wolfe, Senior Editor Black Rose, The Wild Rose Press
- Inspirational, Nicola Martinez, Editor-in-Chief, Pelican Book Group
- Novel w/ Strong Romantic Elements, Cindy Davis, Editor, The Wild Rose Press
- Romantic Suspense, DJ Hendrickson, Editor, Champagne and Crimson Rose, The Wild Rose Press
- Erotic Romance, Diana Carlile, Senior Editor, Scarlet Rose Line.
Prizes: $50 cash prize with tie breaker and special certificate for the overall highest score of all categories. Winners: First, second, third place, and honorable mention winners in each category will be announced on September 30, 2014. Also, first place winning entries will be sent to final judges for reading and potential requests for full or partial ms. First, second, third place, and honorable mention certificates. Winners will be announced in RWR, posted to SOLA’s website, New Orleans Times Picayune and other publications.